Tall Guns has been awarded the right to use the By Colorado logo by the byColorado licensing program. This signifies companies that are based, design their products and make their products in Colorado. (10/2014)
Colorado West Firearms Institute has joined the Tall Guns network Affiliated Independent Instructors licensing our Colorado Handgun Permit course program serving Colorado West from the Grand Junction area. (10/2014).
Tall Guns announces a price reduction in its combined Colorado and Utah CCW/CFP Course.
The new price is $99.95 for both highly valuable permit course. (08/2014)
Tall Guns now offers certification training for security officers in firearm, baton, handcuff, Taser and OC Spray. (05/2014)
Tall Guns is actively instructing courses at this time (June 2020).
To support the ongoing efforts to control COVID-19, Tall Guns will be limiting class sizes to eight (8) persons. (16 Mar 2020).
Tall Guns is certified as the only TASER certified civilian training academy location in Colorado (10/2012)
Previous / Next / Pause
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
DISCLAIMER : Information provided herein is provided for guidance informational purposes only and does not constitute ultimate authority or legal advise on any of the legal topics. It is your responsibility to verify information contained in this content or legal aspects, as we are not attorneys and can not legally advise you.
- Why can Tall Guns offer their CCW courses so much less than their competition?
- We get this question often and the answer is two part in nature. First, we manage our business very closely, not saying others do not, but we do all our own in house production of content, web sites, legal, graphics arts and financial management. We have a full cadre of instructional, technical, financial and firearms expertise in house. The shooting sports and personal protection is a full-time core competency of our business not a part time endeavor.
The second part of the answer is we have a passion for enabling individuals to protect themselves, leverage the privileges given by the states for concealed carry and the 2nd amendment right under the Constitution of the greatest nation ever on earth.
- Where do you conduct your courses?
- We conduct the majority of our courses at our training center located at 2004 West 15th Street, Suite 6 in Loveland, Colorado unless otherwise noted on the schedule. We have conducted classes in various states and cities but those are always noted on the schedule.
- How long has Tall Guns been in business?
- We have been in business since 2006
- Can I travel by airplane with my firearm and ammunition?
- Yes. But be very cautious as to where! Some municipalities have firearm restrictions in regard to firearms, such as New York and Chicago, that could cause you to run a foul of the law while still doing everything right. For how to travel and the restrictions follow this link to the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) website.
- Do you teach Hunter Safety?
- No, we do not teach Hunter Safety. For people interested in taking a hunter safety course we recommend contacting the Department of Wildlife or call Steve Prentice directly @ 303-775-9568 for inquiries regarding Hunter Safety courses.
All Concealed Carry Related Questions
- Is my Tall Guns Colorado CCW Course certificate good any where in the state?
- Yes. We have trained and certified individuals from all over the state and our certificate has been honored by all sheriff departments when processing concealed carry permit applications.
- How long is my Tall Guns Colorado CCW Course certificate valid for applying for my Colorado concealed handgun permit?
- The certificate is valid for application for ten years from the date of the training.
- Does a Medical Marijuana Card affect my ability to obtain a CCW permit/license?
- This is a complex question. While various states or municipalities may have legalized medical marijuana, the United States has not at this time. One of the conditions for obtaining a CCW is that you do not use a controlled substance (Section 102 of the Controlled Substance Act) and it's also a requirement to purchase a firearm through a FFL on ATF Form 4473. You can not get your license since it is a violation of Federal law and in turn affects the CCW issuance in that you have to be able to buy a firearm from an FFL.
Most sheriff's position is if you hold a CCW license and get a Medical Marijuana Card or openly use Marijuana, your license will be immediately revoked.
- If I am a from a constitutional carry state can I carry in other states which are not constitutional carry?
- Constitutional carry rights are normally conveyed to residents of that state and when they travel elsewhere they are not afforded that right to carry. In order to carry in a state that has reciprocity they must have a CCW license from their home state. Case in point a Wyoming resident CAN NOT carry in Colorado without a Wyoming CCW license.
- Can a Colorado or Wyoming Resident have multiple concealed carry licenses?
- Colorado places no restriction on the licenses you posses. Colorado does however restrict carry in Colorado, in that you must have a license from the state for which you are a resident. Several other states have this same restriction.
- Will the State of Utah issue a concealed carry licenses to a non-resident?
- Yes. The state of Utah wants all individuals legally able to comply to there licensing requirements to have the option to carry and protect themselves. That is why Tall Guns teaches the Utah CCW course. But Utah requires you have a license from the state in which you are a resident.
- Does possessing a concealed carry license negate my ability to carry open?
- No it does not. However, various states, counties and municipalities may have restrictions to open carry in general. It is the your responsibility to check on those of any location where you may consider carrying open.
- Can someone under 21 years old attend your concealed carry license class?
- Yes. But for those who are 19 and 20 years of age we encourage them to take the course and then on their 21st birthday to apply for their license. What a great birthday present to yourself
- Does Colorado require you to specify the handgun you will carry with your CCW?
- No. This was true many years ago but is not now.
- How do I know the laws for concealed carry or justification of force when I travel to other states?
- You have multiple resources, one is the CCW laws page of the state you are traveling into, The Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States or the reciprocity guidance websites on the LINKS page of this website